• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2016
    Before I get started on this adventure I have a question? What year would be the last year as a cutoff date? 1950 or 1960?
    I've been going through my Naxos Film Music CD's and decided this would be fun to do. Right now I'm listening to a wonderful score by Franz Waxman "Rebecca" One can hear the classical influence purposely done by Franz due to the time period the story takes place. As my ear has become more discerning I am thinking that this might very well be a top ten score. Did you know it was the directorial debut of Alfred Hitchcock in America who was nominated for the film. The film Oscar was taken home by Selznick and Waxman was also nominated.
    listen to more classical music!
  1. From those two dates I would choose 1950.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would favour 1960 myself.

Wikipedia defines classic / Golden Age cinema as the time between 1917 and 1960. Apparently this is how it's used in the academiae as well, but at the end of the day it seems fairly random. So I don't mind either way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. I also would prefer 1960 as a number of golden age composers were productive even into the 60s. For example I consider Bronislau Kaper's "Bounty" of 1962 one of the last scores of that period.

Beautiful idea for a new thread / project, Tom!

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. I'd tend towards 1960 as well. I mean, I think (perhaps incorrectly) of Lawrence of Arabia as a Golden Age score, and that's 1962...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    When I mean top ten I'm strictly talking about Golden Age only. In this time frame people like John Barry, Henry Mancini, John Williams, are out although they have written magnificent scores.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For those interested the Naxos CD is #8.557549.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll give it another day before we decide if it is 50 or 60
  4. Looking through Film Score Monthly's back catalogue, their 'Golden Age' titles run through the 1950s and into the mid-60s.

Certainly Golden Age scores do run into the late 1950s - Ben-Hur is a good example. So, my call for 1950 was probably a bit premature.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016
    The Golden Age of film scoring ended, for me, in 1962 with Mutiny on the Bounty.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I kind of agree with Erik but it is a very grey area, Lawrence of Arabia was mentioned, also 1962 but I've always considered that one as part of a new era of film scores, to me a round number to end with makes some sense, I'd vote 1960.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2016 edited
    'Golden Age' is a vague, problematic term mostly applied in 'fan' settings and less so in academic circles. Film researchers tend to prefer the term 'Classical Hollywood Cinema' which not only encompasses style, but also how the industry was organized etc. In this landscape, it's roughly set between the early 30s (once LA took over from New York as the main filmmaking spot), and ends in the late 40s, with the baby boom/suburbanization/TV, the end of vertical integration, the rise of independents etc. That's not to say that films in a similar style weren't produced for several more years (even into the early 60s, as David Bordwell suggests), but that's a different story.

Each national cinema has its 'Golden Age' of sorts, and the timeframe obviously varies. That's why I'm rather reluctant to use the term.

But I agree with Tom -- REBECCA is a wonderful score, as are most things by Waxman, my favourite "Golden Ager".
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thor wrote
    'Golden Age' is a vague, problematic term mostly applied in 'fan' settings and less so in academic circles.

So it's most adequately applied in these quarters. wink

Isn't "Golden Age" largely identical with "studio system"?

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote
    'Golden Age' is a vague, problematic term mostly applied in 'fan' settings and less so in academic circles.

Volker

Not really. It's just a term connoting a period of greatness. But the slightly more specified term 'Classical Hollywood Cinema' also encompasses industrial aspects, like I mentioned earlier (including the studio system/vertical integration).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Yikes! What should I call it then Thor? I appreciate all of the feedback and I hope this will be a good thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    If we set the date at 1962 then we can include all three of the historical scores of Rozsa. My opinion is these do qualify.
  6. Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

Volker

Not exactly, the studio system was quite well, I think till 1970 or a bit later. From what I know composers like Schifrin and Goldsmith had studio contracts, for example, didn't they?

I'm leaning towards 1962 as well. The Rozsa historical epics really count and didn't Newman quit Fox somewhere around 1960? I think Mutiny on the Bounty and the end of Alfred Newman's tenure at Fox are a nice combination (he did The Greatest Story Ever Told, one of my all-time favorite scores as a freelancer already).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Music evolves, so it's difficult to demarcate periods precisely. There's a fuzzy transitional period between styles, which itself depends on your definition of what is and what isn't a particular style. But like anything that evolves, eventually there comes a point of obvious difference. So... I dunno. Don't get hung up on the precise meaning too much. Just use it when you think it's appropriate, and define your terms as and when.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think we'll make it 1962. Should I change the name and if so what?
  7. This is a fan based board so we shouldn't concern us too much with academic debates. Science wouldn't use the term "Golden Age" because it is too loosely defined and because it entails an appreciation. For our purpose here I don't see why anyone should not be fine with the term. It's usage is "customary practise".

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Change the name? Why? I would keep on using 'Golden Age' as a general description, as most tend to agree on its definition, but don't get hung up on the label when discussing something in detail. Labels are useful, but they're also limiting.

If you make it 1962, then great. Just make sure people know that whenever you refer to Golden Age scores!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Not exactly, the studio system was quite well, I think till 1970 or a bit later. From what I know composers like Schifrin and Goldsmith had studio contracts, for example, didn't they?.

Yeah, but that's different. It's not like the studios disappeared.

But with the Paramount verdict of 1948, vertical integration effectively came to an end (i.e. a few companies controlling production, distribution and exhibition) and so ended the particular studio system that was built around this mechanism. Studios still continued to exist and produce, of course, but they no longer controlled the actual areas of exhibition; so independents could rise up in the wake.

That's why it's common (at least among film researchers) to say that the tight 'oligopoly' studio period roughly ended in the late 40s.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Yikes! What should I call it then Thor? I appreciate all of the feedback and I hope this will be a good thread.

I think "Golden Age" is fine for purposes like this (i.e. film music discussion boards), since most of us know roughly what it means. As long as one is aware that it's a vague term, defined differently from person to person.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Don't change the name!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    If we set the date at 1962 then we can include all three of the historical scores of Rozsa. My opinion is these do qualify.

Your opinion and mine coincide! smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I think "Golden Age" is fine for purposes like this (i.e. film music discussion boards), since most of us know roughly what it means. As long as one is aware that it's a vague term, defined differently from person to person.

It's an exact and objectively correct term that is quantifiably reasonable and as close to measurably perfect as one can get. Also, it's chronological. And complete.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote

Your opinion and mine coincide! smile

Just ignore Thor. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. Craig Lysy has currently released his review of Kings Row by Erich Wolfgang Korngold as part of his #100 Golden Age scores column.
    This and his remarkable series of essays "Fathers of Film Music" can be found on Jon Broxton's Movie Music UK.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016
    I just made that my new signature. Thanks Erik
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016 edited
    Ouch. Does that mean one less person with whom you can discuss "Golden Age" scores, then?
    I am extremely serious.