• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016
    Since I've been doing a little work on Jane Eyre the thought occurred to me which do you prefer to listen to? I know that some want to hear every note including tracks not used in the film itself or even ideas that were rejected. Others prefer the concert suite version which highlight the major themes but take 60 minutes and condense it down to 15. Gerhardt was famous for doing this and did in my opinion some of the greatest work ever. What is your opinion?
    listen to more classical music!
  1. It depends on the score, for me. There are times when I'm so familiar with the original score as it appears in the film that I just want to hear it that way. Other times I think that suites can do a much better job capturing what's great about the score in a single piece of music. Usually, though, I prefer to have the original score, as it better captures the flow of the story in the film.
  2. I invariably prefer to hear the original score over a prepared suite.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Overall concert suites work much better for me. They're overall more coherent and musically more interesting, while generally still conveying the very best thematic ideas from the film.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor's ears are burning... I'm sure of it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Trevor Jones' magnificent 2006 Soncinemad / Madrid double disc, all RTVE-performed (gorgeously) suites sound better than the album versions, to my ears smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I invariably prefer to hear the original score over a prepared suite.

????????????????
    Yet you chose not to get the Kritzerland Jane Eyre. I can't remember exactly what you said but could you elaborate?
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    For those who prefer the OST. Does it have to be complete?
    Tom smile
  3. Not for me. I've never run across a complete score that I thought was a better listening experience than an original shorter presentation. But I HAVE used complete scores to edit together an album that I thought was better than the original. I don't own a complete score that I listen to all of, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Some of them have become boring to me.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2016 edited
    Although I frequently prefer the original film recording in terms of how it sounds, as I regard that original recording as the way the music was intended to sound by the composer, I'm also firmly in the camp of those that believe a film version of the music is an entirely different medium as the album version, away from the film, and should be approached as such.

So yay for a well thought out listening experience that puts flow and logic structure above the need to have it all and a 100% chronology. So my perfect album situation would be somewhere between the soundtrack and concert suite, and I always loved how John Williams featured both highlights from his score and specially prepared concert suites of the most prominent themes, as I also love how Hans Zimmer takes proper care of his soundtrack presentations, with long tracks flowing into each other, as it were a symphony in itself.
  4. sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

????????????????
    Yet you chose not to get the Kritzerland Jane Eyre. I can't remember exactly what you said but could you elaborate?
    Tom smile

The main reason for not going for Jane Eyre is budget - I just can't afford to get all the titles I want. I currently have an old bootleg version on the Soundtrack Library label that will do me for the moment though.

In the case of Jane Eyre, I'd opt for the original score (which I have with the Soundtrack Library version but would 'upgrade' to the Kritzerland) and I would pick up the Marco Polo/Naxos re-recording of the score. Then I would go for a suite. Obviously though (and more generally), if there was no score and only a suite were available then I would settle for that until a more comprehensive version became available.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. As score listening for me has always been an extension or surrogate of actually watching the film, I am generally very much in favour of C&C releases. I love to be able to follow the musical narration of the film's plot. Yet there are cases in which I prefer a more condensed presentation, either the original album or an abridged playlist of my own device.
    When I started out seriously collecting film music some 30 years ago, compilations were of great importance to me. They have been a most valuable source of information in a then still offline world. Today arrays of main / end themes or suites tend to be "too much" for me. I find them tedious. On the other side listening to one individual suite is a fine way to reacquaint myself quickly with a certain score.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016 edited
    This topic is a bit different than the 'C&C' (complete & chronological) vs. 'A&A' (arranged & abbreviated) debate, as Tom asks specifically for concert suites.

Everyone knows I almost always prefer A&A in relation to C&C, but concert suites would need to be its own thing. It's not always representative of the score as a whole the way an A&A album is, but it can be damn good on its own.

It's a good bonus or addendum to a 'proper' soundtrack album.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Are you at Cannes now?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2016
    Yes, indeed.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2016
    Thor wrote
    This topic is a bit different than the 'C&C' (complete & chronological) vs. 'A&A' (arranged & abbreviated) debate, as Tom asks specifically for concert suites.

Everyone knows I almost always prefer A&A in relation to C&C, but concert suites would need to be its own thing. It's not always representative of the score as a whole the way an A&A album is, but it can be damn good on its own.

It's a good bonus or addendum to a 'proper' soundtrack album.

I think that the Herrmann suites, which Jane Eyre is an example of, is a good listen that highlights the material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

????????????????
    Tom smile

The main reason for not going for Jane Eyre is budget - I just can't afford to get all the titles I want. I currently have an old bootleg version on the Soundtrack Library label that will do me for the moment though.

In the case of Jane Eyre, I'd opt for the original score (which I have with the Soundtrack Library version but would 'upgrade' to the Kritzerland) and I would pick up the Marco Polo/Naxos re-recording of the score. Then I would go for a suite. Obviously though (and more generally), if there was no score and only a suite were available then I would settle for that until a more comprehensive version became available.

The Kritzerland recording is the same as the 20th Century Fox release. The Naxos is derived from the score but has the advantage of digital sound. I'll put the prelude in my drop box so you can have a listen to it.
  7. Thanks Tom. Just downloaded it. Will take a listen later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    It will be a good example of the sound difference.
    Tom smile